Earl Zope already got the beta permission to stay in the Python 3 wonderland some months ago. His current objective is to help old friends to come to the Python 3 wonderland and to make new friends. He has to build trust in his will and ability to stay in the Python 3 wonderland.
The Zope-4-Welcome sprint last week was a great opportunity to work towards the final permission for Earl Zope. We were a group of 15 developers from different companies and backgrounds building applications on Zope in various ways.
We accomplished the following goals:
- There are some old friends of Earl Zope. He thought that he no longer needs them in the Python 3 wonderland but other applications built on Zope need them, so they were pushed towards the new land:
- Knight RestrictedPython got some love and a new beta release.
- Earl Zope could help an old friend (a custom Zope 2.13 application) to get prepared to move to the new land.
- Duchess CMFCore got a beta permission for the Python 3 wonderland including her beloved siblings:
- Prince Plone is not yet ready to live in the Python 3 wonderland but he is already a welcome guest. It is only a matter of time before he will get an alpha permission:
- The instance starts and many actions in the UI work pretty well.
- The test story was brought some steps further so it is possible to start testing Plone under Python 3.
- Details are described in a Blog post of Philip Bauer.
- The migration of a toy
Data.fswas tested and successfully completed. (Details will follow in another blog post.) The Migration took the following steps:
- from Zope 2.13 on Python 2.7
- via Zope 4 on Python 2.7
- to Zope 4 on Python 3.6
- The ZMI of Earl Zope got a facelift (Zope#249) which is not complete yet but looks promising.
- And last but not least Earl Zope himself got the 5th extension of his beta permission: Zope 4.0b5.
Earl Zope says a hearty thank you to all who where involved in this sprint in Halle or remote by coding or providing the resources and time to code.
Welcome in the Python 3 wonderland!